Best First Book (Fiction or Non-Fiction)
Best First Book is one of the more interesting categories: I’m always wondering if the author has another book in them anytime soon, or was this just a one-off experience? What will their second book be like? The authors in this shortlist represent a wide assortment of backgrounds. All but one are female and there’s only one non-fiction book here. Here there are short stories, a thriller-suspense novel, a French translation and a novel about the lives of new immigrants in Canada and the struggles they face. All good reading!
- Even Weirder Than Before by Susie Taylor (Fiction, Breakwater Books)
- Blindshot by Denis Coupal (Fiction, Linda Leith Publishing)
- The Daughter Who Walked Away by Kimia Eslah (Fiction, Roseway Publishing)
- Lightness by Fanie Demeule (Fiction, Linda Leith Publishing)
- The Imperilled Ocean by Laura Trethewey (Non-Fiction, Goose Lane Editions)
Of the above five titles, three will be awarded either gold, silver, or bronze award early in September 2020. The entire longlist can be seen here: https://miramichireader.ca/very-best-book-awards/