Last year, the Best Short Fiction category sported a meagre two titles (mind you, they were excellent ones!) but 2020 proved to be more of a watershed year for good solid, short story collections. Even some ingenious flash fiction was thrown into the mix. Here are the five shortlisted titles for Best Short Fiction, in no particular order.
- A Dark House and Other Stories by Ian Colford (Nimbus Publishing)
- The Group of Seven Reimagined, edited by Karen Schauber (Heritage House Publishing)
- Watermark by Christy Ann Conlin (Astoria, a House of Anansi imprint)
- Half-Sisters & Other Stories by Ryan Turner (Gaspereau Press)
- Send More Tourists…The Last Ones Were Delicious by Tracey Waddleton (Breakwater Books)
Of the above five titles, three will be awarded either gold, silver, or bronze award early in September 2020. The entire longlist can be seen here: https://miramichireader.ca/very-best-book-awards/